Thursday, November 02, 2006

"It's a big baby"

Yesterday (Wednesday) I went to see the doctor. It was a good visit, although he told me that I shouldn't set my heart on delivering early because every day I go over will be that much harder. He said since my due date is Nov. 15, I might go a week late, which would put me at Thanksgiving! Good lord, I hope I don't go that long.

He did say that I'm "disabled" from working and that I should rest, and I agreed so tomorrow, the 3rd will be my last day. It is a tough decision because I know that my FMLA time starts right away and I'll only get twelve weeks off work, no matter when little Charlotte arrives. But I decided that I do need rest (desperately) and as long as I can have it (since I do have the studpid short term disability) I should take advantage to prepare myself metally and also just prepare the house. Like maybe cleaning a little :-)

The doctor said at first he expected the baby to be about 6.5 or 7 pounds, but then he felt (which isn't very comfortable) and said, whoa, she'd pretty far down there and she's not small. He thinks she might be about 7.5 now, so I could deliver her at 8.5 to 9.5 pounds. Not a surprise since I, myself, was 9.5 pounds.

As far as progress, he thinks I'm about 25% effaced (which refers to the thinning of the cervix). This means almost nothing. I could go into labor tomorrow, or in three weeks. I do think that positive thinking and me feeling ready might help. I haven't had any contractions, but I have felt a little crampy. I'm pretty excited and curious just to meet her and to find out what my "story" is.

I have mixed feeling about leaving work, since I think, well, I could probably do another week...but my sub has been here all week and I told him that I'd be gone starting Monday. I'm sick of school since it is the last week of the marking period and I've been going nuts with grading and just getting everything as prepared and settled as I can. But every day at school is a little bit of a battle. I'm working from 7 to about 5, then a couple of hours of work at home...I'm just so tired right now! I can't sleep most nights and I'd take naps if I had time. Watch, as soon as I stop working, I'll be able to sleep fine.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Ok so I hope you don't go past your due date either, but Dave and I will (probably) be in Michigan as early as the 20th. I'm just sayin'.