Friday, January 19, 2007

The Yeastie Beasties

Nearly every week at a breastfeeding group I go to, the consultants bring up the topic of thrush, or an oral yeast infection in the baby. Also, if you're breastfeeding you get it on your nipples, too. Several weeks ago, I noticed that Charlotte has some white on her tongue but I thought it was milk.

At her 2 month dr. appt. they noticed she might have thrush. I asked the consultants to look at it and yep, she definitely had it. So we got some oral Nystatin medication to be swabbed in her mouth and swallowed four times a day. We did this for a few days, but I was told by the lactation consultants that I should be treated too so it doesn't just get passed back and forth between us. So I called my ob and he gave me a Nystatin cream to be applied all the times I'm not nursing.

This was two weeks ago. My symptoms got worse (shooting pains in my breasts) and Charlotte started to clear up, but it looks like it is coming back. So I called ob again asking for a systemic antifungal pill and I got two. The literature I have says that I should have that pill for 14-21 days! Stupid, stupid. I'm so sick of giving the baby medicine and putting that damn cream on and then wiping it off 8 times a day!

In better news, Charlotte went from 9:30 pm til 6:30 am last night between feeds! Bad news is that now she has the evening fussies. but we're dealing with that.

No comments: