Friday, March 31, 2006

Belly Dellyma

Last night I had my second to last performance at Mezze. I am filled with mixed feelings about dancing. I love doing it. I'm proud of it. I like learning more and developing my skill. But if it might be not as good for me and my baby, I don't want to worry about it. Also, it would be nice to not have to worry about tired Fridays from late night Thursday performances. So here is what I have to decide: Do I perform? Do I take classes? Do I go to workshops?

I need to talk with my doctor some more, and yesterday I had a sonogram and got to hear the baby's heartbeat. That certainly makes it more real and I don't want to jeopardize anything. On the internet I see all kinds of information about how great bellydancing is for pregnant women. There are warnings about certain movements, but I can't find out at what stage those movements are taboo.

I haven't even learned my sword dance yet, so I don't want to stop. I'd like to be able to sword dance because it is a less high-impact dance. But it also isn't fair to have my boss/dancing partners take time to teach me when I won't really be available.

I think I have made up my mind to stop, but I'm not really happy about stopping. My husband wants me to continue, which is sort of weird because he doesn't seem very concerned about the baby's health.

It's funny that I'm more proud of the dancing than my "real job". Just because it is new? Or novel? Many friends and family came to the restaurant last night and it was great! It was a nice big audience, which really makes it more fun to dance. I'm so happy the people important to me saw how important the dancing is to me. I just hate going to bed at midnight and waking up for school the next day. Maybe if I weren't pregnant those Fridays wouldn't be so tough. The first couple of weeks I do recall that it was okay, but lately it's been torture! Mostly because my OM team (that made it to state, darn it) practices on Fridays and that makes for a super long day.

1 comment:

KzooJason said...

It was a great performance Katie. Hopefully you can reach an understanding with your doctor that will allow you to keep dancing without placing the baby in jeopardy. It's really cool and I'd hate for you to miss out on something that important to you for so long.

Incidentally, there's a post about the show on my blog now (I'm a bit slow with the posting).