Friday, August 11, 2006

The frenzy continues

After I got my kitchen looking good, I had to pretty much vacuum the rest of the house (finally). I didn't want to track dirt into my pristine kitchen! Then I started on the bathroom. I re-caulked the tub, which is indeed lots of work. I was jammed into the bathtub (big belly and all) and about every 30 seconds I'd get a leg cramp and have to change position. Apparently leg cramps are a common pregnancy thing. That old caulk was TOUGH to get off. As I finally scraped it off, I carefully bleached the hell out of the tub praying that no mold would make it, then I applied the new stuff. Of course, the tube, which was old, busted and there was a big caulky mess on my hands (literally) and I had to run to the store to buy more. Well, when that was set I couldn't help but notice how dirty the floor was and I proceeded to bleach the hell out of that, too. I love bleach. Then I decided I needed no-bake cookies. In the middle of these I found I only had about 1 tablespoon of cocoa, so I had to go to the store for that, too. I came back, finished the cookies and well, they are gone now :-). This was all on Wednesday.

On Thursday, I had the misfortune of waking up quite early. If I don't eat a small meal before bed, I have a hard time sleeping and wake up out of hunger (now I now how babies feel). I rolled back and forth for about an hour and finally at 6 I just got up. This is nice, it makes for quiet and cool morning, but I had planned on running errands and nowhere is open at that ungodly hour. So I tromped downstairs and peeked in at the totally destroyed laundry room. Yep, gotta clean that too.

My husband has loads of beer stuff and I reorganized that and put everything into bins. I put all my wine stuff into a bin also (which I believe had been done before and then someone raided it). I found a bin of teaching stuff. I thought all of that had been moved into the attic, whoops. I cleaned out the paint cupboard (mostly just put away the cans I've been using all summer), mounted a wine rack, moved some stuff around and generally cleared the place out. It is now a much nicer place for my husband to do laundry.

Then I went into the "mechanical room". I don't know why dave calls it that, it is just the furnace room to me. That was even worse! You could hardly enter the room, let alone find anything in there. So I went to town in there. I ended up saving about 100 wine bottles and I'll have to get rid of about 50. When I was making wine on a regular basis, I asked people for bottle. Boy, do they deliver! Now that I haven't made wine in about a year (actually, more like a year and half), the bottles really build up. My next wine will be a port and I'll have to make that soon if I want it ready for when the baby comes!

I threw away loads of trash, moved boxes to the garage to be broken down, etc. I pulled out the small strip of carpet that was apparently the target of cat pee and bleached the floor underneath. I even replaced the furnace filter and added a scented thing that is supposed to smell up your whole house with fresh smell. I figure that is probably better than the bleach smell that is sure to overwhelm people when they enter.I got this all done by about noon. So I took a nap and then ran all my errands.

Today I had breakfast with ladies from work, caught up on what's going on and then went to school. I did a minimal amount of planning and headed home where I....didn't feel like working! I guess I found the end of it. Well, there isn't much really for me to do left. I'm considering putting in more shelves in the linen closet (we don't have good space for storing blankets). My garden of course looks terrible and I should attack that with the same vigour that hit my house. But it doesn't so much seem worth it. Not this late in the year.

The good news is that Dave comes home tomorrow :-) He'll go back to CA probably on Wednesday, but it'll be nice to see him. Only one week left before school responsibility starts again. I gotta make some beach time!

No comments: