Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Nesting or just cleaning like normal people: you decide

As my other projects wind down I'm left with some "free" time before school starts. With my hubby in California I try to keep busy so I don't get as lonely. One of the things I've been meaning to do is make room in my kitchen for baby stuff. The drawers and cupboards were all packed and surely there are things I could get rid of to make room.

When you start a project like this, you should know that it will invariably lead to more. After cleaniing up one cupboard, I decided to move some stuff to a different cupboard. Uh-oh, that one needs cleaning and reorganizing, too. Before you know it, you're going full throttle with every pantry item and dish spread out as the cupboards get organized. I went through EVERY one. My husband will need a map when he gets home; I changed the location of many things also.

I made a big pile of junk that isn't necessary and moved it to the basement (the bad news is that organizing the basement is one of my next jobs...move it to the garage?). I also found myself scouring every surface. Top of the fridge. Side of the stove. Under the dishwasher handle. It is a good thing though, because that level of cleaning hasn't been done in the last five years or so. I mean, I'll clean well a couple of times a year, but not with all the reorganizing. Oh, then I finished by scrubbing the floor on my hands and knees. i'm tired!

Maybe I was inspired because my darling husband thoughfully straighted the house for me so that when I came home Sunday night even the bed was made! Maybe since I didn't have to worry about the straightening I was able to focus on the real cleaning.

My next job: I think I'll re-caulk the tub. Nesting or not? What do you think?

1 comment:

Susan said...

Probably nesting, but then again I do the same thing when the house is straightened. I'm seriously only up for one or the other. If it need straitening it's probably not going to get cleaned too. Good jorb on the reorganization. Now when I sort things I think of moving and how difficult it was and that motivates me to get rid of a lot of stuff we really don't need/use.