Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Ahhhh....spring!

Also, Ahhhhh...a day off! I took a personal day today to just have some Katie time. Jen was kind enough to pick up Charlotte and bring her to daycare so that I could go back to sleep. I slept until 10:30. I have so far mostly laid around. Considering that this has not happened for about 6 months, I think I deserve it. Also, Dave will be gone for the next two week, weekend included, so there are no breaks there. I've enlisted the help of kind friend Jen to give her a bottle a couple of times this weekend. This is because I'm participating in a breast pump study (I get $100) and I have to pump twice a day, even on weekends so someone has to give Charlotte a bottle.

The last week or so I"ve been agonizing about the whole work situation. The question has been: Work part time or no time? Many say that if you CAN do stay at home, to take it! But there are other considerations. The plusses of working part time? Well, I contribute toward years of service and my retirement. I get non-baby/adult time (this is reduced slightly since I mostly see 7th graders). I get extra $$, which is nice and can help us to buy a house in a better school district for Charlotte. Also, I am guaranteed a job year to year instead of having to start all over in the job hunt, and I love my co-workers!

But I'm leaning more toward just being at home. IT is hard to make a decision now since Charlotte is waking up at night and Dave is gone ALOT...so it is really crappy right now. But even with part time I'd likely be at school from 7:30 until noon. And right now my job satisfaction is pretty low. I'm struggling with some of these kids and they are so ungrateful and I"m stressed. Of course, again, I'm doing full time now and teaching three different classes (including science, which is notoriously harder to prep for)...If I went part time I"d just be doing one prep.

Wow, when I started typing, I was 90% sure to stay at home. But now it doesn't seem so bad. Of course, now I'm sitting at home on a day off with no kid and no work. Everything seems easy now. I think Charlotte does need me at home and that I am the best care for her. And if I"m pregnant again next spring, working would suck.

Anyway, the purpose of the post was going to be to about last weekend and how nice it was. We got outside and Charlotte spent some time in her little tent, with her sunglasses on, and in her adirondack chair (got at a garage sale for $1.00 which explains the sticker on her). Remember, you can click on a pic to "enbiggen" as Susan says.

























We also gave her her first rice cereal, here is a movie of it.

3 comments:

Susan said...

I really can't tell you often enough. That is one cute kid!

I only have one thing to say about the work/not work thing. I would consider trying out the part time thing. Since it does have some benefits and when you completely stop working it is very hard/scary to go back.

Brian and Becky said...

I completely know where you are coming from! I am working part time right now, and I am asking myself - is this the right choice? I feel like I am doing full time work in part time house. I still think like a full timer...get paid like a part timer. So, I honestly can't tell you one way or another...just even now, I don't know what the best choice is. I love what I do - but it's a little different from a part time perspective...so, do I still love it as much? I don't know...

Anonymous said...

She is so stinkin' cute...makes me say stay home, hands down. But really it is your choice. I love staying at home and can't imagine not seeing every "new" thing. It did take time to get used to it, but now I wouldn't change it for the world. I can't wait to have you two over for swimming this summer!
Erin