Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Getting screwed by STD

No, I don't mean a sexually transmitted disease...STD is the abbreviation for Short term disability. Something I signed up for two years ago to take care of maternity leave. Apparently, I didn't get the whole story about how it works.

I had to elect an 8 or 28 day "waiting period". When I asked insurance lady what the waiting period was, she said you wait to get your check on the 8th day or the 28th day. So why is it a different amount taken out of my check? She says because some people really the need the check at the beginning of the month, or the end of the month. So I get the same amount? "Yep."

I called MESSA to make sure I understood what needed to be done and how STD works...looks like the waiting period means you WAIT that long before you are ELIGIBLE for STD. So for a standard 6 week maternity leave, I'd wait 28 days (4 weeks) before being eligible to get my check...which would only be for two weeks.

So I'm sort of screwed. I can use sick days, though I've been using them and donating them for two years because I thought I had STD and didn't need to worry about days. So I only have 17.

What's more is that apparently every year I was supposed to ask them to up my amount...of course I didn't know this and so my benefit (of which I'm only entitled to two weeks) will be based on my first years salary that is 10,000 less than I make now.

I'm pretty pissed about it, but I know that we'll be okay, the baby will have clothes, etc. But the insurance lady should have the right info, should help people understand that info and make good decisions. Despite evidence to the contrary, I'm not an idiot; I wouldn't sign up for disability knowing that I'd be getting a mere two weeks worth! I am losing money on this overall, and what is worse is that since "open enrollment" is over, I have to keep paying all year, knowing I'm getting screwed!

In other news, I saw the doctor yesterday (appointments weekly now) and all seems well. Good blood pressure, weight, and fundus measure. Supposedly I still have about 3 weeks left...but I have always felt that I'd be done the second week of November.

I'm so excited...a few things left to do. Still have to buy nursing gown, pack hospital bags, put up some hooks in the babies room. Of course the house is a disaster, but I will say my sweet spouse has been pretty darn helpful with stuff. I just need to get some vacuuming done and a little organizing. It seems like I can't get my dining room table clear; there is always something!

Oh, and I have some pictures I'd like to post. But somehow every week is so darn busy...and weekends I am busy, too! Gotta make time for important stuff, like blogging :-)

No comments: