Wednesday, October 18, 2006

Reduced foot size and worry

On Sunday I called Dr. Andy to ask about the whole toxemia and preeclampsia thing. He made me feel better, as usual. What do pregnant people who don't have Dr. Andy do?? Apparently the swollen feet was taken off the list of symptoms for preeclampsia since it is so darn common amongst preggos. He said to beware of significantly swollen hands and face. Also, of course protein in pee (can't test that at home) and blood pressure (again, can't test at home). He said to monitor salt, but really the baby is pressing on the venous return and that is what is making me puff out. So instead of "putting up feet", try to lay on my side to take pressure off back.

My feet are slightly better, my right one went down andthe left one is still a little puffy. At the doctor yesterday my pee test came out fine and blood pressure is 109/70 (same as usually and quite good). My belly (fundus) measures right where it is supposed to. Weight gain is in the right window. Unfortunately, the doctor was once again called to L and D at the start of my appointment, so it was short. He took the strep B test and I'll get results next week.

I start weekly appointments now and the doc says if the baby comes now, we won't try to stop it. No kidding! This kid can "head out" any time now. But I do have mixed feelings...As much as I'm ready to have my body back, I am of course a little nervous about the rest of having a baby. Dave and I did the hospital tour last night and it went okay. Being in the delivery room made me a little nervous and pulse racy. Reminds me of shoulder surgery and the hysterics just before I went in. Must stay calm! Dave will help with that :-)

Last baby shower (work) tomorrow. Then a trip to babies R us and target to get the last bits that I think I need.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Katie- So excited for you! You will do just fine (as you do with everything). When do you start your time off work?

Erin