Thursday, October 23, 2008

Gigantotron

Yep, that is what Dave calls me. Don't blame him. I move with all the grace of a robot. That is HUGE! Turns out there is a good reason (and a reason why I can't breathe well). Tuesday Doc did an ultrasound to find the baby was ONLY 9 lbs. He thought it was bigger, but as it turns out, I have a condition called polyhydramnia. This is too much amniotic fluid. Happens .5-2% of pregnancies. That doesn't sound too bad, right? Right, sort of.

Increases risk of other things like cord prolapse (BAD), baby not settling into pelvis properly (not good), chances of c-section :-(, and me bleeding out after the baby (also bad). He's mildly concerned about shoulder displaysia though I'm not as concerned. CJ was 8'10" so I figure I'm good with the biggies.

Talk of induction...going to do another non-stress test on Friday and have doc check my cervix to see if it is "favorable for induction". This would mean a combination of dilation, thickness, and baby station. Probably would induce by next Tuesday. So the end is in sight. But I"m a little freaked about these other risks. And the fact that this condition CAN be caused by problems with fetal development; my doctor feels that risk is low and that if that were the case we would have caught it sooner. But you all know that a tiny worry or risk to a mother turns into a giant scare pretty easily.

In the mean time, today is my day off with Charlotte and I plan to wrap up some errands, work on finishing touches of crafts and even hit the library to find a good book to take my mind off of all of this!!

1 comment:

Andrea said...

We will pray for you. I say you should just lay around and do nothing for a while. Unless of course they induced you today and then you will be plenty busy.