Thursday, April 06, 2006

Indecision is a symptom of pregnancy

I did read that indecision is "common" in early pregnancy. Probably because pregnancy occurs in women. Duh. Well, I don't think this is due to pregnancy, but I am on the horns of a dilema. Last night I went to see the Wednesday night belly dance show where I perform. I was told that this new performer and her troupe were "tribal" and different than the cabaret style that I do. Well last night it looked like our perfromance, but not as good. The costumes were nice, similar to ours, the music was good, they used several of the same songs we use, but it just didn't have the same exciting feel. I met Laura, my dancing boss, to see the show. While there, she asks me if I'm planning on going to the April 22 workshop or the May Manistee Women's festival. Well, I thought I wasn't dancing anymore after tonight. In fact, it was Laura that told me I couldn't dance anymore because she didn't want to have to deal with my drama of making a decision about stopping, so she decided for me.

Hmmm. Don't bring me there...not to that place where I have to decide. I'm no good at this stuff. I asked her what's going on, didn't she want no drama, blah, blah, and she says yeah, well, now that I have a plan for without you, I'm all set, if you want to come back and dance some you can. Oh, and you don't have to learn any new dances (though I do want to learn that damned sword dance since I have the damned sword). Oh, then she pulls out the big guns and says, "it is partly for selfish reasons, you are so beautiful and I want you to dance with us because you look so good". That's it. She's found my weakness. Flattery?! Whatever you want. You like me! You really like me!

Reasons to keep dancing:
1. making money
2. get to wear newly purchased never-been-worn costume before I balloon up
3. Exercise, stay in shape
4. Probably not going to hurt my or baby Baker
5. Pride and I like it
6.Not much time left (only til about June) while I can and it'll be easier to come back after baby the longer I do it.
7. I'm pretty :-)

Reasons to stop:
1. My doctor thinks I should, though he admittedly doesn't really know.
2. Morning sickness, afternoon sickness, evening sickness
3. Fridays at school suck with little sleep.
4. Additional committments to Saturdays, performance days, etc.

PLEASE HELP! I can't make up my mind. The reasons why not list is short, but important. And someone thinks I'm pretty!

3 comments:

Susan said...

Katie, I totally know where you are coming from the on decision front, and I agree that it isn't a pregnancy thing.

*I am not a doctor, nor do I play on on TV*

I guess I would see about getting a second opinion if you are worried about the dancing/baby Baker mojo. Divers kind of have to shop around to find a doc that knows diving, perhaps the same is true for belly dancing? Common sense says to me that unless you are falling on your sword or swallowing it (neither of which seems likely), the kind of belly dancing that you are doing isn't going to do any harm, and might just help (toned muscles help in delivery and recovery from the birthing process). Although some of the sharp hip movement you do might need to be softened for the duration.

I can't help with the debate with being tired and sick thing. Because I don't know how tired and sick you feel vs how much enjoyment you get out of the dancing. It might not be fun anymore while you feel so crappy? I'm not there, so I really can't say. But I can tell that you like it. It makes you happy (and you did get to buy a sword - which made Dave totally jealous).

My gut says that you want to keep going. I want you to be happy, so I vote for getting a second (informed) opinion. But if you do keep going, it is an absolute requirment that you get pictures taken and provide them to us that don't get to see you.

KzooJason said...

I agree with Susan (and I appreciate her taking the time to write up opinions which so closely mirror mine). Of your four reasons to stop I suspect that only number one is a real issue. If it was only the last three I suspect that the reasons to keep dancing would prevail. If that is truly the case I'd definitely seek a second opinion. I'm not a big fan of people shopping around for a doctor with an opinion they like but in this case it's more a matter of shopping for a doctor with actual experience with and knowledge of belly dancing.

Long story short, if damage to you or baby Baker can be eliminated as a concern I say keep dancing. Of course I'm not the one that has to drag myself through the Friday mornings ;)

KzooJason said...

Any news on the dancing front? Has a second opinion been acquired?