Thursday, April 27, 2006

Go with your gut on matters concerning... areas south of the gut

Monday I had my doctors appointment. It was pretty lame; my blood tests are fine. That was it. But because of all the the things I had heard and my doubts about my doctor, I needed to ask some more questions. So I asked about epidurals, episiotomies, induction, and c-sections. It was pretty reassuring as his answers seemed to echo my philosophies and feelings. He doesn't like that the hospital pushed epidurals and pressures women into them early. I agree with that. He says sometimes the nurses push them to make their jobs as labor coaches easier. This makes sense then why the nurse didn't like him and said he yelled at the nurses. If he knows that his patients want to do natural labor and then the nurses convince her to do something else, no wonder he yells at them. Everything he said made perfect sense. I think it'd be silly for me to switch. Plus, another good point he made is that since he is in private practice, I'm guaranteed to get him in delivery, not someone who doesn't know me or how I feel. He knows not to even suggest inducing unless it is very necessary. And, I won't be induced to make sure the baby is born on his shift so that he gets paid for it.

On another note, I just finished another documentary: Word Wars. I've been watching documentaries alot lately. This one is about Scrabble tournament competitors. It was interesting. This one guy, G. I. Joel (cause he has GI issues and gulps Maloxx) was awesomely geeky. Several of the people didn't have actual jobs. They dedicate hours a day to practicing Scrabble and memorizing words and letter combinations. I cried when they showed the winner. I'm hormonal.

2 comments:

KzooJason said...

Congrats on finding satisfaction with your choice of doctor. It sounds like he's right in-line with your opinions...

On a Scrabble note, perhaps Roland St. Jude should consider entering one of the tournaments. He's whupped me often enough to make me think he's really good (or that I'm really bad, but what are the odds of that...) Crying when they showed the winner doesn't seem so bad. It's an emotional moment. Crying when someone puts down an exceptionally good word... that's worriesome.

Roland St. Jude said...

This is the third time that I've attempted to comment on this post over the last few days. I think maybe the internet hates me. I'm glad you've made peace with the doctor decision. As for those Scrabble folks, they need to get a grip.