Sunday, July 09, 2006

After much haranguing from my husband, I am once again ready to post. Actually, I had plenty to say, but once school gets out, I start "projects". I love my summer projects. Here is what I have been doing.

I have not done anything in my garden.

I went to "math camp" for a week. This was at MSU and I learned about the 8th grade curriculum that I'll be teaching next year. This was good, I felt inspired at the time and there is lots that I could do before school...we'll see if that happens.

I cut, put up, and painted the trim around the doors downstairs.

I painted the AMH. It went from a hideous skin tone to a calm and lovely blue.

I cut, put up, and painted the baseboards in the basement.

I cut, put up, and painted the molding around the windows in the basement.

I assisted my husband with putting up the drop ceiling downstairs.

I cleaned out the guest bedroom. This entailed details like mopping under the bed. It looks great and is ready for guests (especially because we got a new mattress to replace the one affectionately called "the noodle").

I cleared out what will be the baby's room. THis was mostly teaching stuff and even some stuff from high school that I haven't known what to do with. Everything is now in boxes and in the attic. WE'll probably throw it all out in a few years.

I started painting the baby's room. Three walls are a light lime and the fourth (which curves into the ceiling) is a bright lime. OR will be. Haven't painted that yet. I plan on white trim and my sister suggested a turquoise for the cabinet doors. That seemed too much, but after running it into microsoft paint (a high tech design guide, indeed) it looks pretty good, so I think I'll try it.

I also found out the baby's gender :-) which Dave and I are not planning on sharing with others until the baby is here. THis is very difficult. Especially for a blabbermouth like me! It is kind of fun knowing, a little secret for us. But it is also sort of sad. You think about life with a little boy and life with a little girl and when you find out, well, you lose one of those. That probably sounds weird, but it is a little sad.

For the baby's room I still have to: Paint trim, paint the fourth wall/ceiling, paint dresser to turn into changing table, get a curtain rod, buy material for curtains and make them [this is where I need Susan's help with ideas], also get material and make a little thing for the bassinet, and put the crib together.

Other stuff on my list: Pack up non-maternity clothes to make room for the stuff that actually fits me, label Laura and Mary's clothes so I can get them back to the proper owner, actually work in my garden, prepare materials for teaching next year. That last one is a doozy- there is lots to do there.

I think I"m working harder now than when I "had a job". I worked froms 7:30 until 7:30 today. Not even a nap, which I usually manage about 45 min of per day. I haven't been exercising, so I hope just doing "stuff around the house" counts.

So, my apologies to friends who have checked for a post and have probably given up on me. I'll try to be better and I'll post some pictures.

5 comments:

Henry Bierman said...

That was just under 1 month between posts. You always say that you are married to "dave", but if it were not for the photo evidence I would think that you lived with Kzoo Jason.

BTW:Photo evidence being photos of the houses you both live in that are not the same house.

Susan said...

We will never give up on you Katie...we might harass you 'til you wish we would though. I really enjoy hearing about what is going on in your life, but I know how those project can be. Especially when you are feeling the squeeze of summer and want to get the most out of not thinking about teaching. I would love to see pictures of your soon-to-be nursery and I'm sure can produce a buncha ideas about what to do with the windows. Sounds like the colors are cool, way for them not to be pastel! Are they like the green monkey on the bedding you chose? Anyway, miss you!

Susan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Susan said...

Sorry, somehow my comment got left twice, so I just deleted the second one. Also don't buy a curtain rod until you decide what to do for the curtains, there are lots of different options.

Roland St. Jude said...

Hi Katie! Nice to hear what's going on with you. It sounds like quite a lot!