Monday, July 24, 2006

Say hello to my leetle friend

Last weekend I was unloading groceries from my trunk while my car was in the garage and out of the corner of my eye I saw a furry lump in the corner of the garage by the garage door. At first I thought it was a dead cat. So sad. But then I noticed that the tail was gross and rat-like. So it was an opossum. Dead? No, I saw it breathing slowly. At first I was afraid I'd scare him and he'd jump out and give me rabies or something. Then I realized that opossums are known for..."playing opossum". Then I felt better, but it was till gross. I had to close the big door since I went out of town for a few days, but I left the "people door" open a crack. He was, thankfully, gone when I returned home on Wednesday. I also looked up info about opossums (Dave wondered if he was hanging by his tail so I wondered if that was a myth) and learned all sorts. Apparently fully grown ones can't really support their weight with their tail, but they have been seen carrying things like bundled sticks with it. Also, they have a pretty low chance of rabies since their blood temp is really low. Anyway, here is my new friend, Opie.

On a completely unrelated note, I spent the day today with Laura and Jackson. We were going to go to the beach. We got rained on. We also got winded on. So we came home. I miss the beach.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Your friend doesn't look so leetle! I'm glad that he/she decided left without a struggle. The other night I saw a crab scuttling through the grass that was about 7" across and the other day an iguana dropped out of a tree and scared the bejeebers out of me. I suppose thats the differnce between Michigan and Florida.