Thursday, July 20, 2006

Time flies when you're...having summer

I can't believe how far into the summer it is! It is downright depressing to think of going back to school. I unfortunately checked my school email and found a message from around the 4th of July from a parent regarding her daughter's math grade. Are you kidding?? You are going to ask me about what was turned in, etc. in the middle of the damn summer? Where were you in May? Even June? And add to that, that her problem seems to be that the daughter said she turned stuff in, but it isn't showing in my gradebook. Hmm...maybe your 7th grade daughter is lying? Did you think of that? Especially since these parents are in two weeks after every marking period to bail out thier kids. Filled with anger even though it isn't even worth it to think about.

In other news, last weekend Dave's mom came to visit (if you read his blog, then you know a bit about that). Now I know where he gets his bizzare taste from. I say bizzare because he doesn't like much variety of food or things with real flavor for that matter. Who would have thought that someone would NOT like Italian food? I mean, I thought we couldn't go wrong. What does she like? She said crab and lobster. Well, if that doesn't happen for me, she's out of luck too. We did have a wonderful sail with Frank. And we had a great, but too short, day at the beach on Saturday. Can't wait to go back and do a proper whole day affair.

This week I was staying with a friend, who shall remain nameless but probably guessable, to take care of her after she had a pilanidal (sp?) cyst removed. That is about the grossest thing I've ever seen. Imagine a hole where your ass crack is, about 1.5 inches top to bottom, a half inch wide left to right, and almost an inch deep. Just a big open wound. Poor thing was a real trooper about it. Though the vicadin helps. I'd post pictures if she let me...and she might.

In the curtain department, I think that I've decided to simply choose the easiest path. No patterns, no extra tools, just a plain tabbed thing. I mostly just want to get it (and my other projects) done as soon as I can so I can maybe relax for a couple of weeks this summer.

In health news, I am feeling good pregnancy-wise. I have a bit of a cold, though. It peaked on Tuesday and Wednesday and I just "took it easy" today. Taking it easy is hard...I'm sick of laying around. Today was pretty lazy. I managed a two hour nap, but awoke due to Hobbe's snoring (he's so loud!). I finally left the house at 4pm and ran some errands. Now I just have to clean and put the house in order before Dave gets home. But I"m feeling much better tonight. And this baby...I decided to give it the Native American name "Kicking Bird".

I registered for baby stuff on Sunday and was quite fortunate to have my sister's help. There are alot of decisions to make. I hope we get alot of stuff because I had no idea so much was needed! I'm fortunate to have big family and great friends, so I probably will be all set by the time November comes around.

4 comments:

Susan said...

I'm sorry you have to deal with that parent. I was just listening to a lady talk on some show on NPR the other day about who parents are more and more bailing their children out every time they get into trouble. Including a jaw dropping story about some kids who cheated on the SAT and got hundreds of kids scores thrown out with their own and nothing happened to them because of their idiotic parents and the petrified people at the school system. What do the parents think this teaches their kids about life? Makes me queasy.

I'm glad you are feeling better with your cold and all. Summer colds can be terrible. Oh and I'm not sure you mentioned it, but when is your actual due date?

Susan said...

Katie, I just thought of an idea for your draperies. Why not make flat tab top drapes and then instead of sliding them back and forth to open them, use a tie back and some extra fabric to make a tie. Something like this or eventhis

The InstiKater said...

Susan, it's like you're reading my mind. I figured that I'd leave them closed-ish on top and tie back with the really cute tassle-bead stuff I used on the lamp (see lamp picture from earlier posting). I really like the holdbacks like baseballs or moons- if I find something like that I'd probably use it. Chances of finding one I like are slim though...monkey tie backs? That's the only thing I'd use. Trying to stay gender non-specific.

Susan said...

The tassel would be cool but if you look on the site with the trucks and moons and whatnot it shows how they are put together. I bet if you used the puppy dog eyes Henry would attempt to make some for you. :)