Saturday, July 29, 2006

Done! with the nursery


The final touches on the baby's room were completed yesterday. I did the curtains and tie-backs earlier this week. The curtains I was a little disappointed with; I really should have made them about 5 inches longer so that when they got pulled back they still looked nice. But they were easy to make and increased my sewing confidence. For the tie-backs I got some wooden discs from Hobby Lobby for $1 and put the monkey stamp on them. I think that is cute.


The other project was the bassinett ruffle/liner. This was more daunting for me even though my sister gave me the old one that a friend of hers made her so I could use it as a pattern. It turned out beautifully! Unfortunately, in the pictures, a certain somebody decided that this new baby thing needed to be taken for a test drive and Calvin is, once again, in the baby's bed. I'm not too worried about this- he seems to like novelty more than anything else. He's already stopped going into the crib.
All in all, I'm quite pleased with the nursery. I'm thankful to the help of especially Beth and Susan and their guidance in things I don't know about. I'm having a better relationship with my Husky (sewing maching). We had some real conflicts in the past, but yesterday I came home from Field's at about 11:30, had lunch, and started working and was done by 3:00. That includes fixing minor errors...not bad math, just stupidness. I wouldn't say I'm "good" as sewing, but I might use the word competent for uncomplicated items.

Now I have to concentrate on school stuff, which I don't want to do, but come September, I'll be so glad if I get lots done.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Katie, those look awesome! I knew you could do it. I think the curtain look great, and I love the tie backs. Good thinking on the stamp, that looks way better than the trucks and suns and stuff on that one site. We'll have you sewing up childrens clothes in no time!